I can't remember the last time I went camping...like real camping. I grew up in Girl Scouts and we went tent camping once in a blue moon, but most of the time we were in a cabin or tentalo (half tent, half cabin). The times we went actual tent camping, however, I remember having a lot of fun!
How's this for a throw back? Brownies in about 3rd grade, maybe?
So aside from Girl Scouts (and popping up our 2 person tent in the living room), this past weekend was really the first time I've been camping in a long, long time. You know what? It was a blast!
Jeff and I registered for camping gear for our wedding and received several awesome pieces for our collection. We thought, what a fun activity to do together?! Aaaaaand we unboxed them this weekend. Whoops.
We found a campground in our area that had camp sites with a fire ring, picnic table, water spout, and electric for $40 a night and they assigned us one shaded under trees about 50 yards from a bathroom. Perfect! With Grandma watching the kids, it was an awesome get away for the two of us.
|Hey, at least we got the tent up, right?|
As with all things, however, we learned several things that we need to do next time we camp. Several painfully obvious things that I'm going to chalk up to rushing out of the house that morning...
- Bring a flashlight or lantern. Yes, we actually forgot this. Thank goodness for cell phones.
- Bring bug spray. Yes, we actually forgot this too.
- If you have an outlet, pitch your tent close enough to use it over night for a light or to charge your phone.
- Shower shoes. Duh.
- Put a mat outside the tent to wipe off your shoes on your way in. Or heck, take off your shoes completely.
- Blow up your air mattress before quiet hours. Sorry everyone!!!
- Bring firewood so you're not left sneaking through the woods looking for enough kindling to roast marshmallows.
- Check the weather before you go. We chose the one and only 50* weekend in June to go camping and didn't bring warm clothes. Brrrrrr!
Basically, imagine us wandering around in the dark, totally not dressed for the weather, holding cell phones above our heads while trying to gather up tiny twigs on the ground for a fire. Yup. Feel free to laugh - we did.
So to say we were total camping yuppy newbs is an understatement. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and we truly can't wait to do it again with the kids. To improve upon our camping planning skills, I've turned to my good friend Pinterest. Follow along as we try not to suck at camping next time!
I am glad you tried it. I am sure you will get better at it. Love the outfit!ReplyDelete