My favorite zucchini recipe brings me right back to childhood. I remember my Mom making huge batches of zucchini bread to give to friends and neighbors for the holidays; the smell of the spices is the smell of Christmas.
While we do make some bread during the holidays as a tradition, we end up making a ton of it during the summer thanks to our garden.
Mom's Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup unpeeled zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan, set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix egg, zucchini, oil, and lemon zest.
- Add wet to dry and mix well.
- Pour into greased pan and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and cool completely before wrapping.
I really enjoy this recipe because of how flexible it is. You can sub oil for applesauce for a healthier version. You can also add other veggies (shredded carrots) or take out the zucchini and add apples, bananas, blueberries, etc. If you want to make muffins instead of a bread loaf, keep an eye on the oven and cook them for about 30-40 minutes instead.